document.write(''); My Dog Ate Grass. Here's what to do – Dogster - Simo Baha

My Dog Ate Grass. Here’s what to do – Dogster

With the increase in states legalizing marijuana, not only is weed more accessible to people, but it’s also increasing when it’s ingested by a dog.

Dog on the weed? First, don’t lie about it.

Dr. Anna Robinson, a small animal veterinarian in New Braunfels, Texas, emphasizes being completely honest with everyone when talking about the problem.

“No vet cares if you have illegal (or legal) possession [of marijuana]He says. “It is against our code of ethics and AVMA policy to report you if you are not involved in an active case of animal abuse because you are seeking treatment for your pet.”

Instead, withholding this knowledge will frustrate and annoy the vet, who will run more tests once they figure out what’s in your dog’s system. This increases treatment time, costs (due to increased lab work), and potential worsening of symptoms.

The dog ate weed. Second, check for clinical signs

Symptoms and severity vary depending on how much weed your dog has eaten, what type of weed, and how long it has been in his system. Veterinarian-approved doses of CBD are safe for dogs, while THC is dangerous. If your dog has consumed a baked product made with THC, there may be other harmful ingredients such as herbs, chocolate, nuts or xylitol that are extremely toxic to dogs.

Here are the common early signs of THC to look for:

  • Pupil dilation
  • Ataxia (like walking drunk)
  • Hypothermia
  • Rapid changes in behavior that are atypical for your pet (ie, severe aggression, depression, disorientation, strange behavior, etc.).
  • Excess saliva
  • Vomiting

In the later stages, when your dog has eaten weed, you may see:

If you realize that within an hour after consumption, vomiting may occur, preferably in veterinary practice). Dr. Call your vet for recommendations on dosage and induction of vomiting, Robinson stresses.

The dog ate weed. Third, go to the vet

If your dog is showing clinical signs or you have seen your dog ingesting grass, go to the vet immediately for evaluation. “If you’re ever in doubt, it never hurts to bring your pet to the vet, especially in this case, because the difference between waiting in a dark room for symptoms to subside and requiring IVs and decontamination is a deceptively short time or exposure. , says Dr. Robinson:

Your vet will also ask you to call a poison control line, which will provide you with an emergency and help vet (either your regular vet or an emergency vet).

The poison control representative will ask:

  • for a credit or debit card number in advance
  • who are you and are you the legal owner of the pet you are calling about?
  • for your pet’s signal (breed, age, sex and if neutered)
  • if you go to the facility
  • what are the pet’s current symptoms and may direct you to provide specific first aid based on your response.
  • what the pet used, specifically product details, such as if the marijuana is edible or in cream form (ie, chocolate or xylitol is included), whether sub-ingredients are listed as ingredients (non-THC cannabinoids that act on similar receptors), and if weed /CBD has a cutting agent (meaning some other herb, vegetable oil extract, or other legal or illegal drug).

“We see the latter especially often with the popularity of CBD and weed,” says Dr. Robinson: “Most veterinarians do not request poison control case numbers unless another toxic agent is involved, but standard practice may vary between veterinary hospitals.”

Finally, you will receive a case number and possible contact information for your veterinarian to use.

A final note. Acting quickly is important, but honesty and having detailed information are equally important when it comes to dealing with weed poisoning with your dog.

Source link