Everest climber, who learned to walk again, died while descending from the summit world news

An Australian mountaineer, who had recently regained his ability to walk, died while returning from the summit of Everest. Jason Bernard Kennison, 40, died on Friday and his relatives said he managed to reach the top of the mountain but tragically did not return home.

Kennison, the mechanic, took part in an expedition organized by the Asian Trekking company. The company’s managing director, Dawa Stephen Sherpa, told the Himalayan Times that Kennison began acting strangely after reaching the south summit.

The two Sherpa guides who were with him helped him down to the terrace area at an altitude of 8,400 meters.

The guides continued to camp for four, despite running out of oxygen as Kennison refused to continue descending.

The Sherpas planned to descend and return with fresh oxygen cylinders in hopes of rescuing him.

According to Himalayan Times, however, bad weather and strong winds prevented their quick return.

Kennison’s climb comes 17 years after he was told he could no longer walk due to a serious car accident in 2006 that left him with depression and spinal injuries.

He started this climb to help raise money for Spinal Cord Injury Australia.

On his Just Giving page, Keninson explained how a second spinal treatment three years ago, which required further rehabilitation, led to his desire to climb Everest.

He claimed that someone close to him was able to convince him that he was still capable of achieving what he set his mind to.

Keninson mentioned how she was inspired to receive a surfboard as a gift.

He said it gave him a new perspective on his life, allowed him to realize the personal development he was looking for, and made him appreciate the challenges he had overcome.

He wrote: “In 2023, I will travel to Nepal to see and be Mount Everest, far removed from the once traumatic injuries and low and dark days of depression. A huge feat that I would never have dreamed of or thought of. was possible after I was once told I wouldn’t be able to walk.

“I’m going to make the most of my life and part of that includes helping other people whose lives have been changed in an instant by spinal cord injury. They should not be forgotten, they should be helped.”

He traveled to New Zealand to attend mountaineering courses before starting the climb. He made time to practice rock climbing and sailing, and even set up winter training, roping and ladder climbing in his backyard.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade says his family is receiving consular assistance.

According to the Himalayan Times, a total of 10 deaths have been reported on Everest this spring, and two climbers are still missing above the top camps.

Source link